Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hero

Today I saved a bird. I was working out this morning in the sport school, like I do, and two birds flew in through the open door. They totally ruined my workout momentum because I was so worried for them. They had no idea what to do and were chattering to each other, panicking and flying from ceiling beam to beam. Since I'm good at langauges, I tried to catch on to their langauge, and I whistled to them, but I probably had an accent because they couldn't understand I was telling them to fly lower and through the door. Instead, they just kept flying higher.

But then they tried to be smart and follow the light, straight into the windows. A couple tries of hitting glass made them even more frantic and me more nervous. Then BAM! One flew in the window and fell to the ground. I started yelling for help from the other men who were working out but they couldn't hear me over the music, so I leaned down, hoping the bird wasn't dead, and watched to see if it would fly again. The little bird tried to fly, but was tangled in some dust that must've caught as it fell from the window.

I took the bird in my hands, and removed the dust from its feet. It was so scared but I told it in Russian to not be scared and it understood because it let me carry it across the gym and back outside through the door. Once outside, I told it to be more careful and raised my hands to the sky, setting it free to tell the rest of the flock that their friend was still trapped in there, and that there was no telling if he'd come out alive.

While I tried and tried to get the other one to find the door, when I left today it was still flying around the ceiling. I hope it found its way out somehow and joined its friend back in the sky.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a really great post. I heard you're good at speaking Bird. Chirp chirp.

Anonymous said...

Aw I hope the other one got out ok! Look at you, out saving the world! :-)