Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hard work

I've had problems with my door handle to my apartment. Either the door sticks, or the handle gets loose making it hard to slam the door closed, or the handle just falls off. Last night the handle fell off, again, for the third time. For the third time I called my landlord, who's actually a friend of mine out here, and for the third time, she brought over one of the handymen who works at her office to fix it. Each time I've hinted to her that there needs to be a new door handle, and she knows it, yet each time she simply brings over a new handyman and he figures out a way to just jam the thing onto the door in hopes of it staying there.

She brought a man and left to go back to work. This guy is in my hallway corridor right now messing with the door. He is panting and grunting, and when he walked in he smelled sweaty. He's a guy I know from the office- one of the security dudes. He always says hi to me and asks me questions on the differences between here (MD) and there (USA). He has taken one of my kitchen knives to use for fixing the door; this is not the first handyman to do this and hopefully he doesn't bend the tip of the knife like the last guy did.

He is banging and pulling on my door. I am in my living room. It's sounding pretty productive over there, what with all the exclamations of "son of a bitch!" and "fuck your mother" he's emitting. For every morning that I have had to wake up to banging from the upstairs neighbors, I finally get to respond back with my own personal banging and cursing. It's my way of saying thank you, but too bad it's afternoon, and not, say, 11pm.

Now I'm just waiting for him to finish so I can go outside and enjoy this lovely spring day. I hope he gets the handle in good enough so I can leave my house and not worry about- Oh! I just heard him sighing "tak, tak tak!" which sounds like a conclusive remark to me. Let's find out shall we?

Update: Wood shards all over the floor. He used the knife to cut a branch outside and used the branch to mount the door handle somehow. Crafty.

Final Update: Dripping wet, he finished the door. Telling me I could use my feet and the door handle won't break off, he pulled and pulled to demonstrate his work. He then, pointing to the wood on the floor said, "You'll sweep that up," put his tools back in his plastic shopping bag, wished me well, and went on his way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of something...

Since my dad lives in another town and my mom is mean, I can't drive any of their cars. So all I got was an old rusty car.

One day it just wouldn't start so I called a friend of mine... Similar to the handyman you're talking about.

After a close inspection he concluded that it must be something wrong with @#*% (whatever). So to my horror he began dismantling my engine... Then he was something like "I think this was here... hmm, maybe not, but it will work anyway".

Of course the damn car wouldn't start. So he suggested we should push it ("just a bit") and it would definetely start. Surprise! It didn't.

So after a couple of hours he got off, slammed the door and said: "This can't be fixed". Then his face changed and calmly asked me: "You have the keys, right?". "No, they're in the car" I replied. "Damn, I locked the keys in, but don't worry, I know how to open the door. Just give me a screwdriver!"

I was very mad because of what happened so I left for 5 minutes.. When I came back my good friend was using the screwdriver as a lever and knocking it with a hammer. My car door was a mess and of course the door didn't open...

I didn't have the power to say anything. I just crossed myself and left... After a few days I called a mechanic and everything was done in half an hour.

To sum up, call a specialist, not a "handy man"!



PS: Sorry for the long post, but I just had to tell this to someone. :))

Amychka said...

Hahaha. Truth!!!

Anonymous said...

how Funny is that...