My last final is Monday. I'm anxious to get done although as I study the material for Monday I find I have to plead with myself to just get through it, we're almost there. The final stretch. I feel alright about my other two finals except for the occasional "shit I should've/shouldn't have wrote that" fears that creep into my mind as I try to move past the stress of those exams. Can't do anything about it now but wait for the grades to come and never uncross my fingers.
Today is the first snow of Brooklyn. So far it's pretty but still unimpressive. A storm was promised with up to 12 inches of snow. I guess it's still early, but I'm ready to see it come down and cover everything in my life. I want the snow to rid me of this first semester at school where my excitement about getting into law school rapidly faded into exhaustion from monotony and the choking amounts of material to digest. It felt like as I began to digest a topic another one was being forced down and spilled over until I swallowed it, taking bites at the spillover until that too was digested. Followed by another forced topic requiring digestion. It's kind of a disgusting way to think about how I feel about the pace of law school, but it's the only way I can describe it.
That's not to say that I couldn't keep up. I kept up fine, did my readings, participated in lectures. It's just that after Moldova where I could spend consecutive days laying around in my apartment as I worked from home, it was hard to adapt to my brain constantly being on the "on" position. I am very much looking forward to these next few weeks of vacation when I can press the snooze button on my brain for a bit and hopefully be refreshed for next semester.
As I return to studying for Monday, I listen to French electronica and, like always, watch the world outside my window. An older black woman in the best orange African-print coat carefully crosses the street. The employees at the Thai restaurant are outside taking photos in the snow. A kid with a sweet afro is walking quickly and holding bags of groceries; he looks cold.
I bought a box of clementines this morning. I walked home holding them while the snow fell around me. It wasn't so cold out yet. It was kind of magical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I love this post,Amy!especially the part about what u see through your window..i use to do that too.Love and kisses!
Post a Comment