Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Culture: Can't Let it Go!

Joining the Peace Corps means I’m supposed take a break from American culture for a while, immerse myself in a society less of a super power, more of a “real world,” as I’ve been recently welcomed to. However, in my almost six months in, I find that in addition to my East Europe immersion effort, I have dutifully been catching up on American culture (occasionally pop) in a fervor I was unable to assert when I was living in “fake world,” or attending a university and working full time.

A few days ago when I talked to my parents on the phone mom asked, “Guess which celebrity died?” I said, “It couldn’t be Anna Nicole, not 15 minutes ago I read she was rushed to the hospital.” My mom was like “yep, she’s dead.” I don’t think my mom and I ever had one conversation about her before, or any other famous blonde for the matter, but I do recall my dad watching her fabulous Anna show every once in a while and I’d join him, happy to watch anything cable TV. Yet, seven time zones away, not only was I not surprised by mom’s news, but I also had already been briefed about the events leading up to it. Why? Because I read so much internet gossip.

I read so much in general. I’m trying to keep a log of what I’m doing out here, and part of it is keeping track of how many books I’ve read. Since September, I’ve read 17 books. 35% of the books are non-fiction, about Human Trafficking or Human Rights, Jews, Law School stuff, and the other 65% is fiction; short stories, classics, contemporary pulp, best sellers, etc. I also devour every magazine in my path; Cosmopolitan in Russian, Newsweek, back issues of Heeb. Each evening I look forward to the 5pm darkness, when I am officially not required to leave my apartment, so I can coil into my chair to consume text. This reading rainbow I’m straddling inspires me; I think I can finally catch up on all the books everyone’s always talked about my having to read, but I never would remember what they were, or never had the time for reading even if I did remember. Furthermore, while I’m supposed to be more down-to-Earth living here amongst The People, I find my hypercritical perception has only gotten sharper. I read The Authors folks creamed their pants over and think ‘eh, overrated, plus Author has used the same expression twice already and I’m only three chapters in.’ I’ll read the books gifted to me and feel slightly depressed once I finish the book and realize I still have the rest of evening to mourn its conclusion. Or I’ll read some best seller I’ve avoided and bawl in my room hard enough for my host mom to rush into my room, worried about my disposition.

I also watch more DVD’s now than I ever have. I prefer shows, though have recently chanced upon American films bootlegged from Turkey. My collection has grown from no DVD’s to 15 series, 7-8 films, including what I’m borrowing. Every night I’ll watch two episodes from whatever series I’m watching this week. Again, being ultimately judgmental, I think I hold the final verdict on what is funny and what isn’t, and what isn’t funny is DVD commentary. The only series I’ve watched with funny or worthwhile commentary is Reno911, otherwise, commentary is self-indulgent and hardly amusing. It’s basically the actors or show creators sitting around and trying to be most hilarious, to only each other, saying things like “Did you just say scrumptious?” “I think I did.” “I can’t believe you just said that.” “I live on the edge.” Wit! Wit! Or on some occasions the commentators will be eating and talking about it. Or someone’s cell phone will ring and they’ll answer it and say something to the caller about how they’re in the middle of a commentary track, and then everyone else will laugh and be all “I can’t believe you just answered the phone!” So boring. Blooper reels are usually disappointment too. In general, most DVD Bonus Material is garbage; except for the sweeet secret choose-your-own-adventure game on the Home Movies season two disk, and the Strangers With Candy box set Bonus Material isn’t bad either.

I conclude with a request for recommendations, packages with books and DVD’s, purchases from my wish list. But mostly I sincerely ask for your recommendations. I’m not even trying to comment-fish either, feel free to e-mail me with suggestions if you feel your offering deserves more prestige and privacy than a comment box. But really, I would love to find out what those books are everyone’s always telling me to read. Because I don’t be spending too much out here, I’ll probably throw some money at amazon.com (or search diligently at the office’s volunteer library) and actually read or watch what you told me to. It’ll be like an international book club, where I’ll give you feedback if I think you recommended me shit or if it changed my life like you said it would.

4 comments:

rachel said...

i was really into the golden girls dvd series for a while. barnes and noble was having a buy one get one deal so i got 2 seasons and watched all 50 some episodes in about 2 weeks.

rachel said...

i was really into the golden girls dvd series for a while. barnes and noble was having a buy one get one deal so i got 2 seasons and watched all 50 some episodes in about 2 weeks.

Anonymous said...

i'm enough into the unbearable lightness of being to recommend it.
xo
christina

Muzachary said...

maybe some safren foer. either of his novels are really amazing.

raymond carver short stories.

murakami!

uh, sports illustrated for kids.

i'm assuming you've already digested the american office, but if not, that's a must too.

what else..? hmm

oo yeah, jhumpa lahiri