...does not have the same connotation as in America. At all. People let the N-bomb fly out here without flinching. "That's just what they're called." I've been explained. I've been here for over a year now and the word still cuts my ears when I hear someone use it. Yesterday, in conversation, a woman said the word in describing how hard she worked that day ("As hard as a ...") Another man, who I also respect, asked me about the word right after he casually used it, perhaps noticing my slight wince. I explained the offensive weight and shameful history the word implies, and he replied, "Oh okay, so instead of saying it we'll say Chocolate instead." Uhm.. not necessarily the appellative substitute I had in mind.
On TV, Russian programming, comedians and television shows mock American movies and hilariously use the word to address each other, or third person subjects of a bit. It infuriates me. Kids here listed to the American songs, everyone watches the actors, and so, of course it's okay to say it, I mean, they themselves say it! I've even seen some hot street art; "Nigers" spray-painted in big red letters on the side of a run down Soviet factory. (But perhaps I'm misinterpreting the tag; people could just really be supportive of the country Nigeria.)
America, I blame the music and the insulated culture around it. This shit is global, and I'm telling you, we're taking steps backwards in tolerance, understanding, and compassion. When I've also went on to explain how it can be acceptable for people in the same group to call each other a certain word, but for people outside the group to say it is offensive, the response I've gotten is that "if they can say it at all, we can say it too. Otherwise, why would they say it to each other if it is so bad?" Which is actually a pretty good question. I don't think kinship is a sufficient enough excuse, especially if it allows the rest of the world to be ignorant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ok, dar ei cum zic la cuvîntul cu N? Sunt doar curios...
Post a Comment