Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Gray area

I've gotten a lot more gray hair since living out here. I assume it's because I'm getting older and I inherited the gray from both my parents.. Yet, I also can't help wonder about the old wives' tales about going gray. Have I been more stressed living here? Did I pull out too many gray hairs and they've since multiplied?

I kind of like the gray; it's mine, y'know? But it's the reactions people have that make second guess my decision to not dye. I became an 'honorary' God-mother this weekend and when I arrived at the church the mother of the baby's first reaction to me was "whoa, where'd all that gray come from?" Last week I was with my Russian tutor and I was looking down at my book and she says to me, "Amy, you really need to stop thinking so much, you're going gray!"

But maybe it's been this denial inside me that's turning my hair inside out. I'm not feeling like I'm leaving soon, but I am, and I'm not doing my law school applications as diligently as I thought I'd be by now, but I should.

When I was younger I used to play a game with myself that was like, for example, if the traffic light turns red before our car gets there then I will eat ice cream tonight. Or, when I had a dialogue with God when I was kid, I would think if God let's me get an A+ on my spelling test then I will never swear again. Well, tomorrow morning for me will be like if the first thing I see in the morning is a gray strand of hair right in front of my forehead in the mirror, then tomorrow my essays for my applications are going to be completed.

5 comments:

janet said...

yea!! We all gray and happy... You are just one of us today ans always,...

Anonymous said...

The age gray hair shows up
in your family you better hurry up with your assays...

Anonymous said...

i have so much gray hair i started coloring it. of course those little strands have to stick straight up or are scraggly, wirey and extremely noticeable. at first i didn't mind but for the past year it's gotten worse.
heredity or stress, i'm taking over this head of hair, dammit. we are going to go gray completely by the time we are like 30! yikes.
i love you!
Jackiechka

sunil said...

very interesting. i too started going gray at a young age. my hair is still primarily black but the gray is somewhat noticeable. i kinda like it though. gives it a bit of texture :)

Mariah said...

ah... yes, grey hair. i think i have a moderate amount, but i have been dying my hair since forever (one color or another), so i don't even know, really!

i like your description of the weird superstitious games of childhood. i was totally the same thing. the weird thing is, i've noticed myself doing that again *a lot* lately. why? what does that mean?

what law schools are you applying to? UM? sometimes when i am at the aut bar, i still think -- i wish amy still worked here.

ah, i am old. the end.