Wednesday, November 01, 2006

House Call

The doctor came over last night. She is an older woman with the last name Ivanivna, and has gold teeth, as old ladies tend to have out here. She is a big woman, the kind who's hugs are too hard, too invasive. She met with Big Sasha to sign some forms for him. The forms verify that she checks Big Sasha to make sure he doesn't drink alcohol before driving. All rutiera drivers have to have this form signed, and Big Sasha does not drink before driving ever, so he's in the clear.

But Big Sasha does like to drink here and there, and apparently the doctor does too. She knocked back 100mgs of 'spirt' (similar moonshine?) like a veteran. She sat wheezing from the strength of the drink for five minutes afterwards, but nonetheless, like a champion, she knocked another one back. The doctor was interested in my meeting her son.

After Big Sasha had a couple hundred milligrams in him, he revealed my identity. The doctor told me about how she is a little Jewish too! She told me that her grandma had her father with a Jew, and she knows that because, as the doctor remembers, her mother would sometimes call her father "Jew. Jew." She said that I didn't even look like a Jew, she said I was probably mixed. I corrected her, but mostly I just let her talk over us, as she seemed to be on a roll of monologue. She really wanted me to meet her son. When Big Sasha ushered her out she held on to me with a bruising grip, insisting I walk her home to meet her son. Telling her I am not feeling well, I have a cold, I pried myself away from her and went into the house. Big Sasha walked her to the gate.

When Big Sasha returned he exclaimed "Baba sure likes to drink!" Ana chimed in "was she drunk already when she got here?" 'Most likely' was the verdict. Big Sasha told me, again, about how he loves Jews. He told me that I should never be embarrassed to be a Jew. When Big Sasha drinks he likes to talk to me. He said I should be proud to be who I am. I told him I am. He said I should always be. I am Big Sasha, I am.

It's really interesting because I am living in an area that once was extremely Jewish. I am living amongst the people who lived amongst the Jews. It's always interesting, and after last night, no longer intimidating or worrysome, to hear what people have to say. I take it all with a grain of salt, because while I can never REALLY know or understand this society in its entirety, they too can never really know or understand me either. And that's just fine with me.

No comments: