Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Job Title: Community Development

These last couple days have been very productive. I am working hard at my job, which at this point entails meeting as many people as I can. One of the favorite people I met was one of the customs officers at the train station who looks like Mr. Clean, has a great sense of humor, asked me what my sign was (and he guessed it was the 'dollface' sign), and who once took a course about reading and controlling people's minds but only made it to the 2nd level out of four because he doesn't have the money right now ($1,200) to finish the training. Yesterday I introduced myself to a police officer. I showed him my work visa and told him it was important for him to know who I am because I'm the new American bandit-ka in town. I'm not sure what he made of me and my humor, but I do know he was speechless and confused by the time I walked away from him. I felt him watching me walk away, perhaps scratching his head in a confused policeman fashion. I've also in the last few days, blown the minds of 16 ninth graders about how they can do ANYTHING, met the director of a (Russian language) high school, his wife the gym teacher, the director of the sports zal (hall), an ecological partner of our org and his three-year-old son, and many, many teachers.

I've been getting a lot done in terms of integrating into this community, and I'm happy with my progress. Each day I am feeling better about what I came here to do, even if every time I talk to my mom and dad, they still ask me "so when do you really start working?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

uhm yeah, that sounds cool, but when does the working part start?