Wednesday, January 10, 2007

An Average Day at the Office

A little before noon, I get to the office I share with my counterpart. She isn’t there. I look to the calendar I made for the organization and see only my handwriting on it, with of course no indication as to where she might be today.

I sit at my desk drawing and labeling various produce for my next English club. I just finished making verb flashcards for a guessing game.
The phone rings. It’s a shared line between two offices, it’s never for me, and I can’t understand what people want when I answer. So I don’t answer it.
Door Opens.

Moldovan: “Unde e sint lor ma culc la mine, fatza se dintzul noroacos. Face nimic pentru miine, as fi dintzula ciorape?”
Something in Moldavsky.

Me: “Scuzati? Nu-am inteles?”
Excuse me? I don’t understand?

Moldovan: “Eu spune, Unde e sint lor ma culc la mine, fatza se dintzul noroacos.”
Something in Moldavsky.

Me; “Imi Pare Rau. Nu stui.” She’s looking at me so I add, “Repeta?”
I’m sorry. I don’t know.

Moldovan: “Che?”

Me: “Che?”

Moldovan: …

Me: …

Moldovan: “Ai-inteles?”
Do you understand?

Me: “Limba Russa va rog.”
Russian please.

Moldovan: (in Russian) “Oh, why didn’t you say so! You’re the American, right?”

Me: “Yes, I’m trying to learn Romanian. I didn’t understand, formal you speak so fast. What did formal you say?”

Moldovan: “I said, do you know where Ecaterena has the raion school-union figures for the district ministry’s budgeting program meeting?”

Me: “Uum,” pretending to think about it. Pretending some more. Nope, don’t know what she’s talking about. “Shto?”

Moldovan: …

Me: …

Moldovan: “Where’s Ecaterena?”

Me: “Sorry? I don’t know?”

Moldovan walks out, leaves me alone in the office, again.
I keep drawing and labeling, straining to think of more vegetables.
The phone rings, again. I don’t answer it, again.
Office door opens, in walks in another office Moldovan.

Moldovan 2: “Shtietz unde e Ecaterena?”
Know where Ecaterena is?

Me: “Nu. Do formal you need someth-”

Door closes.
Phone rings, I don’t answer it.
Door opens.
A lady in a coat walks in. She stands staring at me.

Me: “Da?”

Lady in a coat continues to stare at me.

Me: “Ecaterena nu este. (In Russian) Ecaterena isn’t here.”

Lady stares for another minute.

Me: “Can I help formal you?”

Coat lady bows apologetically and walks out.
Quiet half hour, except for the endless phone ringing.
I go home as it starts getting dark, at 4o’clock.
Yet another successful day at the office.

1 comment: