It’s a tiny bit overdue (an entry) and a little late (resolutions) but at least it's here.
In case you haven’t been in my general social radius, including family, friends, friends of family, and etcetera, here is what’s been going on this last month or so.
First, I went to America, as I said I would. Seeing my family and being home felt like I never even left in the first place. I did a lot of sitting on the couch, watching “I Love New York 2” while Roxanne alternated between sleeping on me and running to the windows to patrol what was going on outside. In addition to sitting on a couch, I sat in cars and restaurants plenty too. By the end of the weeks, eating at restaurants lost its luster; I put on some substantial weight. But no matter, because the last leg of the trip was spent walking Manhattan. I was reunited with dear friends, which really did give me a gauge for where everyone was standing in this point in our lives. Some of my friends are doing much better than others, and some couldn’t find the time to see me (friends…) but catching up with everyone, looking my friends in the eyes and exchanging updates on our lives, really did motivate me to keep doing what I’m doing out here, and I was energized and ready to come back home, er, to Moldova I mean.
But all the energy I had upon arrival has gone by the wayside. I left pre-holiday season in the states to arrive smack dab in holiday season in Moldova. First there was getting back into the time zone (much harder the way back), then Christmas with the girls (what’s Christmas without the traditional Bathe-the-Jew ritual, for which I was solely invited?) The girls, all also volunteers, and I watched Christmas movies, baked cookies, and decorated stockings - y’know, goy things. I tried decorating my stocking with my name and a Star of David, but I messed up so it became just the star and an “A.” (Transcribed: “A star.” read: “A Jew.”) Needless to say, I was a little out of practice for Christmas celebrating, but I picked up fast, and it end up really being a relaxing, fun holiday with my closest Americancas out here. Plus, we had a really bomb turkey dinner with mashed potatoes that were dyed green and red by yours truly.
Following Christmas Americanul, there was the few day waiting period for New Year’s Eve. In this time nothing happened. Because I had just seen my family, my New Year’s Eve was a little less emotional than last year’s. Not as homesick this year. I spent the evening with Misha and then our friends. It was… okay. It wasn’t bad, but it just wasn’t a bang-‘em-up New Year’s Eve like years past. It’s okay though, because perhaps I’ll be back home for next year’s. Following New Year’s was another week of nothing including the Christian Orthodox Christmas, celebrated in Moldova on the 7th of January, and the old New Year, the 14th of January. When Moldovans have holidays, good luck trying to get anyone to do anything. So it's been a lot of laying low while waiting for the holidays to end.
However, I have finally started being productive the last few days. Being productive means not sleeping until 12, and not sitting online all day. (Even though today I did both those things.) My newspaper kids are working on their fourth issue, the director of the Sport School and I are starting our BIG project, and this week aerobics starts up again. So, so far, 2008 is going well.
Now, without further ado, my 2008 New Year’s Resolutions!!
1. Get back in shape. Eating at all those restaurants back in Detroit plus holidays in Moldova, with ladies too busy to come to aerobics which means Amy’s not teaching aerobics which means Amy’s got herself a little bit of a belly. But no fear- it’ll be gone before you can say “Amy Stop Eating Meat Gelatin (Russian: Haladets. Romanian: Ratchaturie) At The Moldovans’ Holiday Meals!!"
2. Don’t lose sight of what needs to get done. So, by the way, I totally got the score I needed on the LSAT’s. Higher than the first time I took it- by far, though still not perfect. Thus, this year, I really must concentrate on the other parts of getting into law school- including figuring out exactly where I want to apply to, write a killer personal statement, get my resume in order, and get those applications sparkling beautiful, and in early.
3. Do stuff to fill the resume with. Also, don’t lose sight of what I came here to do. While still thinking about the future, better do stuff now, and get a shitton of work done here so I even will have something to show for myself. Keep motivated.
4. Take advantage of the time. I need to start taking photos or something, but my life out here is just passing right along, and I’m afraid I’ll have little to no documentation or memory of it since for the most part I love being at home in my apartment, and pretty much know my town in and out. I did however go sledding a few days ago (I’ve got the bruise to prove it) and so I need to do more stuff like that.
5. Get Misha speaking English. If this kid and I can have full-on English conversations by the time I leave, that would be amazing.
6. Travel a little more.
7. Write more. I’m sorry, Mom, that I’ve not been keeping up with this blog like I have in the past. I promise to get back on the ball with write these totally awesome, interesting, fascinating posts of mine. (Plus, see number 2 about personal statement.)
8. Keep keeping in touch with friends.
9. More Amy time.
10. Throw the party of the year. I am already planning it. When I leave, it will be around the time of my birthday. I will throw the biggest party for myself ever. I’ll probably do it at one of the restaurants in town. Using my recipes, the tables will be half-Moldovan food, half-American, as will be the music. I will invite pretty much everyone I know out here, including colleagues, students, neighbors, and other American volunteers. It’ll cost a bit, but still be much cheaper throwing a party of that size here, as opposed to in the states. People will be talking about it, and me, for years after I leave.
11. Make it happen that people will be talking positively about me for years after I leave.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment