Saturday, January 26, 2008

The one about Lilya, the laundry lady.

Have I mentioned that I get my laundry done out here? Meaning, I pay a woman to wash my laundry. She has a son in high school, who is super cute and shy, who comes and picks up my bag of laundry and then a couple weeks later brings the bag back, with all the laundry clean and crisply pressed and pressed so nice oh my god it's unbelievable. I should also mention I pay 10 lei a kilogram for this service. That is about $0.60 a pound.

For months, I never gave the woman my underwear to be washed because I dunno, I thought it would be inappropriate to? I thought it wouldn't be acceptable to do? So instead, I'd give her all my clothes, and then wash my undergarments by hand, hating every moment of it and bitching to everyone about it each time. Tamara had told me, "Give the underwear to the lady to wash!" Jen had told me, "In India, I always gave my underwear with laundry to be washed, it's totally fine!" Misha told me, "Amy, you are absolutely ridiculous, give her your underwear!" Tamara even got so sick of my bitching she was like, "Want me to wash them for you?" I was all, "That's even worse than giving them to the laundry lady!"

Every once in a while, a pantie would get into my laundry mix accidentally. It would come back ironed, just like the rest of the clothes. I always took it as an "Oops! No hard feelings!" from the woman. But the underwear would come back ironed, and folded so neatly, that I started to wonder, maybe it's not such a crazy idea to give her underpants?

So Misha and I came up with an idea: I would give her my underwear in a separate little bag within my big laundry bag. That way if she does them, cool, and if not, no hard feelings. Weeks past, and I began wondering about my decision. Was this the right thing to do? Was it too much of me to ask for? I mean I am paying her, but is it rude of me to do?

So finally she called and tells me the laundry is ready, and her son will bring it over. Her voice didn't sound any different than usual, so that was a good sign. Son came, I paid, and immediately opened the bag to find...

all of my underwear had been washed, ironed, folded, and in color-coordinated rainbow order. This was it- I had hit jackpot. The woman not only washed my underwear without any pretense, but she then stacked them according to color tone. The pinks next to the reds, the greens with the blues, blacks on one end, white on the other.

So now, hells yes I give her my underwear to wash!! I really have no idea how I'm going to adapt back to America life. Not only will I not have a private laundry lady who does an immaculate job for hella cheap, but I will have to wash my own laundry and fuck if I would ever iron press, fold, and color-coordinate my panties.
Moldova: Living it up one ironed undergarment at a time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Romania (which is not that far away) what you did would also be accepted (I mean, people would do a lot of things for money) but you'd be regarded as a spoiled American and talked behind your back.

But not to worry: since your a spoiled American, you don't have to care! lol

Amychka said...

Hilarious because it's true.

Addendum to my post:
A couple times back, I had accidentally received someone else's underwear in my laundry. Since I'm the only American in town, there must be some pretty spoiled Moldovans paying to get their undergarments washed too!

Also: You are = "You're," not "your"

Anonymous said...

hey pretty lady. I like the new blog format. frumos. :)

Unknown said...

Your experience is a great. You should enjoy it. You will have to pay much more when you get home and it will not be even close to what you have experienced.

Anonymous said...

First of all, pardon my spelling errors! I'm trying to improve (not the errors but the spelling).

Secondly, I was just joking. I hope you didn't take it too serious. :) Sincer, e de admirat ce faci tu!

Amychka said...

Totul e bine! Salut! Salut!