My bags combined, including my carry-on, weigh more than I do. Peace Corps says I am responsible for my luggage, including being able to carry all of it by myself while in transit between Philly and Chisinau. Once I finished stuffing everything in, I tried walking with my backpack on my back and rolling both bags on either side of me. While my parents watched me and laughed at my attempt, I fell twice and could barely get the bags up on their wheels.
I have packed these bags, unpacked them, taken out 10-20% of what I originally packed, switched stuff between the two bags to evenly distribute the weight, played tetris with my shoes and make-up and clothes to best fit everything, and have sat on, pulled, pushed , and finally zipped these bags shut and I refuse to try to tackle them again in hopes of making them any lighter. My method for Peace Corps' requirement for me to handle my own bags is what I have found always to work; I will get someone to carry them for me. I will find a young buck, smile and ask politely for help, and if necessary, give him some money after he's carried my heavy shit to where it needs to go. This, my friends, is the international way of doing things. Being a woman is an advantage in every part of the world.
I mean most of the world except for maybe Africa or parts of the Middle East where I'm sure being a woman really fucking sucks.
Good thing I'm going to Eastern Europe where Women's Day (March 8) was invented!
Oof!
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment