In Romanian there is no letter 'k' or 'w.' If either of those letters appear, it's in a foreign word, like kilometer, or Washington. The 'c' in Romanian encompasses all 'k' sounds, and so it is unnecessary for 'k' to exist. I discovered this today as I was writing phrases in Romanian and noticed how pretty the words looked. I believe it's because there was no 'k' interfering in the spellings. English, take a hint...
How is it Monday already again?
I had my site visit last week. Ocnita looks cool. Ukraine is less than 100meters away. I can walk, and will, over the border. I picked the older woman as my host bunica (grandma.) She and I got along best, her apartment had an inside toilet, and she didn't leave the house while I was taking a nap only to return five hours later, like the other host mother option had. When I had woken up and noticed she was gone, I walked around town. Ocnita doesn't seem so bad, from what I can tell. It's somewhat progressive, as it does not have that small village feel. No one even turned their heads when I was walking around town alone, and my counterparts at the organization comforted me that it's totally normal for women to go to the bar, or get a cup of coffee alone. My organization is very young, the office didn't even have lights installed yet. But for the winter time I'm working in a smaller, warmer office in the same building with my counterpart, so there's time for home improvement. The organization is called "Alma Mater" and it's a women's rights org. Talking with my counterpart we came up with a lot of projects and ideas. While I feel a little overwhelmed by the implementation of it all, I'm really excited to get out there and start the processes.
When I returned back to Ialoveni my family here tried to guilt me. Claiming I didn't love them anymore, they whined about how they just didn't understand why I have to leave Ialoveni. Big Sasha offers everyday that I should just stay with them, work in Ialoveni. Everyday I have to explain it's not up to me. Little Sasha is home all the time these days because he recovering from a crazy operation. He has a tendency to try to hang out with me at the most inopportune times, such as when I just wake up in the morning and I'm still in pj's and not wanting to talk to anyone, especially not him. He'll come in my room and try to turn on my ipod, or sit on my bed and start talking to me. I'm pretty prompt about kicking him out, telling him politely to fuck off, and basically being the most exasperated and annoyed when he is in my presense. Since I've gotten used to being rude to him, and he's gotten used to be denied; our relationship is basically great.
Pre-service training is going fast, and I feel good about that. I'm ready to really get into the MD way of things.
Until next time,
love from your little Moldovan sweetheart
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment