This morning I had my language evaluation. I think I did alright because the trick is to go into the evaluation with enthusiasm and humor and then the language becomes secondary. With that said, I had a good time during my evaluation AND I said everything right for the most part, and at very least, understood everything that was asked of me.
Last night I learned how to peel a potato the Moldovan way. When my Big Sasha told me to help him peel the potatoes I asked him where the peeler was. He gave me two peeler options, big knife or small knife. With small knife I took to the potato like I peel them in the States, flicking off the skin with short, quick strokes of the knife. Big Sasha told me I was doing it wrong and showed me to pull the knife under the skin towards me. I got the hang of it, kind of, but it felt awkward because I'm used to peeling potatoes the way I have my whole life, with a potato peeler. Big Sasha noticed I was struggling with the potato and told me I should maybe use the big knife, I responded with the Russian expression 'the dancer says his balls interfere with his dancing' to imply that my knife isn't the problem but I was just not used to doing it that way. Big Sasha liked the expression. Big Sasha likes me in general, his little American host daughter with a sense of humor he can understand.
Tomorrow I go visit my new site. I will meet my counterpart at the organization and choose a host family that I will live with for 4-6 months starting November. I got the ok from my supervisor that I am allowed to speak Russian to my counterpart, but will not let the host families know I can. I am determined to get Romanian down, because what's better than being bilingual? Being trilingual.
On Tuesday I return from my site visit but go straight to Chisinau, and then finally go back to Ialoveni on Wednesday. Hopefully my trip will go well, and I'll be somewhat inspired. I feel my entries these last couple weeks are sort of blah and I want to explain that it's because I'm still doing pre-service training. PST is basically like being in school, as I'm with a group of Americans in a classroom setting almost everyday of the week. Everyone knows school is the least exciting thing to think or write about, and because of that, Moldovavavoom has not been the most interesting blog on the interweb. But I promise once I find I'm laughing and thinking more, I'll be writing more and better.
In the meantime, I'm off to Ocnita. Wish me luck... Or at least indoor plumbing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
(jackie)
i spent $80 at amazon.com for you.
you won't get it til like november...
i love you
Post a Comment